Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My feelings on being a DINK

Thank you so much to Ashley and Mrs. Vincent for your comments on the below post:) I personally love being a DINK! Its definitely something that you give up if you decide to have a baby immediately after your wedding day or if you have children before marriage. I cherish this time I have with my husband. I know that once we decide to have children, you can never have this time again. I live in the south(originally from the north) and it seems like down here most women are on an EXTREME time line. Not all, but LOTS! If I had a quarter for every time I heard "I want to have all of my kids before I'm 30" I would be rich. For those that didn't click the link below to Bellyitchblog.com, here is what it states:

What Does Dual Income, No Kids - DINKS Mean? A household in which there are
two incomes and no children (either both partners are working or one has two
incomes). DINKS are often the target of marketing efforts for luxury items such
as expensive cars and vacations.

What is a BUCKET List? A list of things you want
to do before your life is changed and become consumed with more thing related to
parenting than not.

I love my life with my family and wouldnt trade it in for the world, but every once in a while, I reflect on my life before babies as a DINK: Dual Income, No Kids (or Disposable Income No Kids) and I get nostalgic. Man...Those days were filled with...
-Waking up whenever I wanted which used to mean like 11 on Saturdays and noon on Sundays.
-Taking advantage of last minute vacation getaway deals. You know on Tuesday, you'd get an email alert saying if you book by Thursday, you could be on your way to Cancun, Mexico by Friday
for $200! yeah. that.
-Going away on that vacation and not really worrying about anyone I left behind and just really letting go and enjoying the vacation. I trusted my adult siblings and parents would be fine.
-Taking in a movie, new nightclub or "happy houring" on a moment's notice and not thinking twice about bar hopping til the wee hours of the morning as I didn't have a babysitter to relieve.
-Spending freely on clothes, kitchen gadgets and all the toys I'd want for myself cause all my disposable income was for me and me only.
-Not having anything in the fridge or cupboard at all and being fine with that because I could and usually ate out regularly and casually
.
-Buying whatever furniture I wanted for my house without having to think if it has sharp edges or is too white and would get soiled by kids.

So, if you are expecting your first child soon or about to start the process of trying to conceive one, I HIGHLY recommend you sow your DINK oats now. Get your pencil and pen out now and create a Bucket List of stuff you have or want to get out of your system before your baby comes because life will NEVER EVER be the same again...ever. Even when you are 90 years old, you will NEVER go to bed without worrying or thinking about your adult kids and what they are doing and if they are okay.

Info taken from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment