Thursday, August 27, 2009

Birht Control - Life Threatening?

I was chatting with one of my co-workers and she mentioned a good friend of hers was in the hospital. I asked her why and she said because of her birth control. I immediately asked her what kind she was on and she said the NuvaRing.

After doing a little investigative research, several birth controls are under investigation right now, including the one I am on (Ocella). Ocella is the generic version of Yaz or Yazmin. There is a major law suit occurring right now between the loved ones of former users and current users. Apparently,

During the brief time that Yasmin and Yaz have been sold in the United States, hundreds of reports of injury and death have been filed with the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) in association with the use of these products. In fact, in less than a five year period, from the first quarter of 2004 through the third quarter of 2008, well over 50 reports of death among users of Yasmin and Yaz have been filed with FDA. These include numerous deaths with reported cardiac arrhythmia, cardiac arrest, intracardiac thrombus (blood clots in the heart), pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs) and stroke in women in their child bearing years. Some of the deaths occurred in women as young as 17 years old. Significantly, reports of elevated potassium levels are frequently included among the symptoms of those suffering fatalities while using Yasmin or Yaz.

Info quoted from this link.

Now, I'm faced with a tough decision. Do I change the method that I'm currently using? That would be a "Hell Yeah". I know all birth controls pose a risk, but at that cost? This type of risk is not worth it to me. My health is VERY important. I take pride in taking care of myself. Now I need to search for a new birth control. Any rec's?

3 comments:

  1. Girl this is SO not cool - I use the exact same BC too!!! Keep me posted on what you find out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on Necon for more than I should be probably, however have never had a single issue with it. Granted, I think it's listed with the same side effects as most, but doesn't seem to manifest the way others have. Unfortunately, any chemical that goes into your bloodstream is a crap shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't used birth control since I had Jordyn. We just refrain from sex during my ovulation time. It may take a couple of months to get the ovulation time together. It has work for almost 4 years!

    ReplyDelete